The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) has a Environmental Justice/Stewardship Ministry Called Green Chalice:
The purpose of the Green Chalice Program is to encourage and assist local congregations/DOC Offices, and Assemblies who wish to live out their faith by caring for creation. This program is designed to recognize congregations for being good stewards of God’s creation. It also aims to empower congregations/assemblies with ideas and resources to enable them to walk gently on the earth.
The program has two tiers. The first level is to become a Green Chalice Congregation/Assembly. The second level is to become a CERTIFIED Green Chalice Congregation or Assembly.
STEPS Central Christian Church has taken to become a greener congregation:
- replaced all interior incandescent lighting with high efficiency LED lights
- replaced all older interior fluorescent lighting (T-12) with newer ballasts and T-8 high efficiency lighting
- installed three programmable thermostats
- replaced two parking lot lights with high efficiency LED fixtures
- began serving Organically Grown Fair Trade Coffee for fellowship coffee
- opened a Fair Trade Store for Missions, offering a variety of foods and beverages
- reduced the use of styrofoam products throughout the building
- reduced the use of plastic diningware for fellowship events
- began recycling bulletins and other office paper, cardboard, and plastics
- reuse (by relettering outdoor banners for seasonal & special events
- host Farmer’s Markets to promote local and organically grown food
- encourage the recycling of aluminum cans, plastics, glass, cardboard and paper by members in their homes.
Stay updated on the Green Chalice Program